Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mountaindale-My, Your and Our Collective Vision-Join in The Conversation

In many ways, I fell in love with Mountaindale the first time I drove through this quaint little hamlet that (at the time) seemed too be clinging too life...it did not take me long to realize there was/is a very strong life pulse beating here in our small town, far more than one might see or assume at first blush. Going on three years since I first drove through town, I find myself living here, find myself wanting too contribute to seeing Mountaindale bustling with both life and activity, the town full of the kinds of businesses and services we as citizens in and around Mountaindale want here, need here to attend to our individual and collective needs. From my perspective,, as example, would love to see a Convenience Store, would be willing to pay a premium for the convenience of walking down or across the street to get a loaf of bread or a half gallon of milk. How much it would thrill me to see every apartment, house and storefront occupied...artists, a gallery, maybe a bistro offering great European Cuisine all a part of the warp and weave that makes up the fabric of Mountaintdale. I look at this vision, and find myself willing to invest of myself, my time in working toward such a vision.

This is a part of my own vision for our hamlet, my own dream for where I would like to see us go, but being pragmatic, I know that visions are much like opinions in that we all have them, and no two of them are necessarily alike unless the time and effort is taken to have dialog between dispirited groups to find consensus. Even when you have consensus, have a shared vision of a bright and glorious future, can see a dream that every one, or at least a majority can embrace, that is only a part of the equation (from my own perspective) in having a workable and attainable vision. Consensus without shared involvement in the process of going from vision to reality, most visions, most dreams fail to ever materialize, as it takes more than lip service to create reality.

I have my vision for Mountaindale, as do many of our citizens who work, live and/or play here. In talking too various inhabitants of our hamlet and its surrounding community, there seem to be many shared components when it comes to what we each individually, and even collectively would like to see. So, there is the ability to find a shared vision, a common ground on which many if not all of us could stand. Where there seems to be a quick and drastic drop off, is when you ask the question, "What would you be willing to do to help see that vision happen in our community?" Seems we all have lots of wants we would like to see for our community, but finding the support in its various forms to breath that vision/dream into reality is a horse of another color. Prosperity does not happen without action, action does not happen without human involvement and contribution. What are we individually and collective willing too do to bring about, breath into reality a shared dream for our community?

The purpose of this article, is to perhaps open up discourse and dialogue in our comments section below this article, to challenge our community, those who work, live and play in it to give some thought to your own vision for Mountaindale, give some thought to what you would be willing too bring to the table in the way of making that vision or some part of it happen, and share your thoughts. Great dreams can happen, and they all start with that first step...it is my hope that many of you will read this article, will take that first step in the process by sharing your thoughts, by forwarding this article and a link to it to your friends near and far that have an interest in our little hamlet, and it's long range vision and growth, and asking them to join our conversation.

I bring this up, as it is my understanding that the community had a Visioning Workshop back in 2004, and am thinking this would be a good step towards scheduling another one where the entire community could sit down, look at what goals were accomplished from the last Visioning Workshop, and as a community set new goals for moving forward. Let Mountaindale hear your voice, here on the blog, via email, or give me a call at 693-4513.

Quote of Day...It is amazing how much you can accomplish when it doesn't matter who gets the credit.