Sunday, May 13, 2012

Illegal Main Street Plants Find New Home

This past week I went to the Monticello Greenhouse, picked out some beautiful plants, and came home to our small hamlet to create two beautiful planters for either side of my apartment door; wanting to contribute to the beautification of our small hamlet here in Mountaindale. 

In selecting the plants, I remembered the advice given to us all at the Sullivan Renaissance Annual Conference when putting together a successful planter...you need a thriller, a filler and a spiller, which is to say you need a statement or tall plant, some beautiful fillers, and then some plants that spill down over the edge...I'd chosen Sweet Potato Vine as my spiller, one of my own favorites now for a few years.

Within hours of placing these two beautiful planters out on the sidewalk flanking my door, I received several compliments on them, those compliments continued arriving over the next few days...sadly, those planters were not seen as welcome additions by some, and it became apparent they would have to be moved, despite their wonderful contribution to the efforts of beautification of our Main Street here in Mountaindale, New York.  So, for those who have called today wondering where my planters went, read on.
It appeared the planters were going to have to be sent off to another community, or worse tossed into the dumpster due to my inability to find them a home.  Luckily, at the last minute I was successful in adopting these planters out, finding them a good home for the summer.  So, a very big THANK YOU to Ed for agreeing to take the planters, and I am so happy they have found a permanent home for the summer in front of his Mountaindale Inn.

Have to admit it was/is a bit surprising that private citizens living in a community are not only discouraged, but forbidden from trying to spruce up and beautify our community.  Guess I will just have to go out, purchase a couple of hummingbird feeders for outside my window, and call it a day.  In the meantime, for those of you missing my planters, just look over across the street, and THERE THEY ARE...again, thanks to the folks at Mountaindale Inn for agreeing to adopt them.